Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Heidelberg at 35° C

Was für ein heiBes Wetter! My mother was once surprised upon learning that Germany has great weather in the summer. I guess she envisioned Germany as rainy and cold year-round, even though the winters are milder than Chicago and the summers sunnier than Boston. Today I can hardly do anything but sit like a lizard in the apartment. I shall hopefully muster up the energy to record everything that has happened in this incredibly packed week since my Aer Lingus flight from Logan. But for now I shall ponder, reflect, look at pictures, and perhaps doze off until the sweaty sun goes down. One thing that is very clear is that AC does not fit into the ‘energy-saving’ German lifestyle… so after cooking in my course this morning (we are on the fifth floor of an old building with skylights) and going from café to café looking for an iced-coffee and some AC, I decided the most bearable place would be the shade of the apartment with a cold Pils and a nap… maybe even a little German homework. But in general: safe and sound, arrived and well.

No comments: