Wednesday, April 22, 2009

die Sonne scheint in Karlsruhe

The sun shines in Karlesruhe. Spring had sprung. Even as Robert picked me up from the train station we could see the trees blooming in white and pink all over the hills nearby, looking as if snow had fallen on just a select few. The weather was no colder than 20-degrees C each day I was there; the heavy coat and winter boots I brought from Berlin would sadly have to remain neglected in my luggage for another few days... but who's complaining?!

As soon as I arrived in Karlesruhe I relaxed. Because of the slight stress of traveling to Lisie's and to Saarland, it was wonderful to go to a place that I know better, where the streets and Robert's mother's apartment were totally familiar. Most of what we did in Karlsruhe was family-related. Both of Robert's brothers were there for the easter holidays. The night I arrived we joined Tommy at one of his friends house for some grilling and soccer. For a group of 19-year-olds who had just finished their finals (pseudo AP-exams) they were incredibly well-behaved (wow, that makes me sound oooold). 

The next day Robert's aunt and her family came from Nuremberg in Bavaria just for the day. We drove about twenty minutes to a town called Rastatt. Helmut had prepared an historical tour for us, so in our group of about fifteen we walked around the small town, stopping at a few town gates, important buildings, and the castle. We stopped for ice cream in the quiet town center, and then we headed back to Karlsruhe to check out the view from the tower. I've been there a few times, but it's always nice to see the view in the different seasons. We went back to the apartment for a big dinner of cold cuts and cheese and breads and salads, the works. 

Tommy and Steffen by the castle in Rastatt (yes, they are sitting on a cannon)

Katrin and Helmut in Rastatt

The view from above, Karlsruhe and Durlach


<-- Steffen and Robert at the Karlsruhe Schloss (castle)

The next day Steffen, Robert and I did some walking around downtown Karlsruhe, stopping for a bit at the castle (EVERY town in Germany has a castle... the one in Karlsruhe is particularly big thought) and wishing we had a frisbee with us. On Easter Sunday Tommy, Robert, Katrin, Helmut and I drove a half-hour to the town of Baden-Baden. I was astounded that all of these beautiful towns were so close together. I imagined a two hour train ride to get to Baden-Baden, but no, it's about as far as Framingham is from Weston. In Baden-Baden we drove up and up and up to yet ANOTHER castle. But this one was different. It was older, more of a fortress built for the protection of Badisch lands and the valley below. We walked around on trails behind the fortress, enjoying the fresh air. We walked to some areas with expansive slabs of rock where people were rock climbing (well worth watching). After we stopped back at the fortress restaurant for my first SPARGEL, or asparagus, white, of the season. Helmut shook his head in dismay upon hearing that they were serving Greek asparagus; getting to eat fresh German asparagus is something that people look forward to all winter, so perhaps it was "not the real thing" to have it imported from southern europe. We ate an incredible meal with a view of the entirety of Baden-Baden (unlike istanbul, seeing the whole city/town from one window was, in fact, possible) from our table. 

at the Borg-restaurant in Baden-Baden

Later that night Robert and I met up with some of his high school friends from Karlsruhe for some grilling and catching up. And already it was time for me to head back to Berlin! I was desperately hoping that I could bring some of that great weather along with me... My train was at noon that Monday, just in time to get to University for classes on Tuesday. I would've loved to stay longer, but alas, duty calls! And how can I really complain after having two months of vacation?

Helmut, Katrin and Tommy

No comments: